linux and networking articles

Unifi controller on Synology NAS

This post is about how to configure and run the Ubiquiti unifi controller on a Synology NAS using Docker.

Quite recently I purchased UAP-AC-PRO access-point. Part of the Ubiquiti unifi solution is the unifi controller. I have tried installing the unifi controller on a Ubuntu 16.04 (LTS) system with shared applications but that didn’t work out well because of ipv6 running on this box. The installation of the unifi controller failed because of this. Normally you would dedicate a VPS to the unifi controller function. :)

Then i thought about running the unifi controller on my Synology NAS DS412+. After some investigation I saw that docker was an application that was available and that someone actually published the unifi controller on dockerhub.

Here’s some small steps on what you need to do to get the unifi controller running on a Synology NAS running DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 6 using the GUI:

1.) Install docker from package center

2.) Open docker and go to Register, search for unifi “https://hub.docker.com/r/jacobalberty/unifi/” and click download.

3.) Within a few minutes (depending on your download speed) the image should be available in the image tab.

4.) Within the image tab click start and choose a wise name to identify your own unifi controller (mine is called wifi-controller).

5.) Set the network settings 1:1 (TCP/UDP ports), make sure you do not have any other applications running on these ports (like SabNZB).

6.) Start the wifi-controller and access it through: https://<nas-ip>:8443

Have fun!

MPLS LDP label filtering

This post will outline MPLS LDP label filtering on IOS and IOS-XE. It contains LDP label filtering configuration and belonging output.


Recently we migrated two POPs to a MPLS based network  coming from VRF Lite. With other non-MPLS POPs left to migrate, we still have quite some prefixes in our IGP.

As LDP assigns labels for IGP based routes we ended up with quite some labels that were generated- and advertised without any purpose. This may impact convergence of a network so we setup LDP label filtering to only generate labels for PE’s that have L3VPN or AToM xconnects. Label filtering can be used to minimize the number of prefixes in the LIB and control which labeled prefixes are advertised using LDP.


There are two ways to control LDP label filtering:

  • LDP inbound label filtering (per LDP neighbor configuration)
  • LDP advertised label filtering

The configurations that follow are based on LDP advertised label filtering. Reason for this is that inbound label filtering is error-prone (lots of config) and if you solve the problem at the source (advertising labels), it won’t effect others. :)

This post assumes the following basic MPLS LDP configuration:

The configuration of advertised label filtering starts with a standard access-list for prefixes you would like to generate labels for. For MPLS L3VPN you basicly only wants labels of the PE loopbacks.

Next you need to configure LDP to use this standard access-list:

The result of this config can be obtained with the following commands:

When checking the results on another PE (PE2), it appears that the labels in the LIB are still advertised even though the prefixes do not match the standard ACL of PE1. So the implicit deny of a standard ACL does not work.

There is one missing command on PE1 to fix this:

Total configuration of one PE for LDP label filtering:

I hope this helps someone out there. If you have any questions, please comment!

Python script for PPPoE and PPPoA users

I wrote this python script to check for the amount of PPPoE and PPPoA users on a Cisco IOS-XE box. It’s also used by a provisioning system to check whether a PPPoX session came up or not. (Note: still learning Python)

The output will look like this for PPPoA users:

The output will look like this for PPPoE users:

Here is the script, latest version is always on github


Python script for PIM SSM mappings

A small functional python script to generate a lot of static SSM mappings for IOS-XR. The entries of mcast-groups.txt is an excel file (not comma separated).


« Older posts

© 2017 ipnetworking.net

Theme by Anders NorenUp ↑